Every yoga teacher needs a few good yoga games when teaching classes for kids. Here is a list of fun yoga games for you which take only five to ten minutes and are great to use at the beginning of class as a warm-up, during the last few minutes if you still have time, or if attention spans are short. These games are also great as you need almost no materials or only one. Besides, you do not need to prepare before the class. Just keep these games in your mind and have fun of them whenever you play!
1-Don’t Ring the Bell Yoga Game:
Materials Needed: A ring
- Sit in a circle and take a handbell.
- Give the handbell to your friend next to you very carefully without ringing it as it is the aim of the game.
- Please note that the children usually want to ring the bell. You may let them ring the bell first before the game begins.
- This game increases their concentration in a silent way and soothes their minds.
2-Slithering Snakes Yoga Game:
- The children lie on their tummies in a circle, in cobra pose first.
- Then, they hold each other’s ankles.
- They begin to crawl like a snake on the ground, hissing.
- It is a more difficult game than it seems.
3-Down Dog Tunnel Yoga Game:
- The children go to down dog pose next to each other so that a tunnel will be formed.
- In turn, every child goes through the tunnel.
- Then, the child who goes through the tunnel, again switches to downward facing dog as a part of the tunnel.
- You can play this game as far as they are tired of downward facing dog pose.
4-Pass the Block Yoga Game:
Materials Needed: A yoga block
- The children can lie in a circle or one after another.
- Lying back, we bend our knees up and press our hands down by our sides. We bounce up our legs, using our hands to steady our backs.
- Then let our legs tip all the way up and over our head into the plough (halasana) pose.
- But this time, in plough pose, the child will have a yoga block in between his/her feet.
- And the child will pass the block to his/her friend’s feet.
- As a suggestion, a foam block is better as it is softer and lighter.
5-Ball under the Bridge Yoga Game:
Materials Needed: A ball
- Sitting on our bottoms, with our knees bent, feet flat and hands behind us – fingers pointing towards your bottom. Press into your feet and lift your hips up to the sky making a bridge.
- All the bridges stand next to one another making a longer bridge.
- Give a plastic ball to the child at the very beginning of the bridge.
- Let him/her roll the ball under the bridge with one of his/her arms so that the bridge will stand on three legs.
6-Crabs Cleaning up the Beach Yoga Game:
Materials Needed: Some small toys and a basket
- Scatter the small toys all around the room.
- Let the children come into the crab/bridge pose.
- Imagine that the toys are litters, scattered all around the beach and the crabs are good creatures cleaning up the beach.
- The crabs will put the litters/toys onto their tummies by using only one hand.
- Then they will walk sideways just like crabs to put the toys into the basket in the corner of the room.
7-Backward Horse Yoga Game:
Materials Needed: A ball
- Stand in a circle or make a line one after another.
- One knee down, one knee up come into the horse pose.
- Lift your hands above your head with a ball in your hands.
- Pass the ball to the person behind you by bending backwards.
8-Family of Elephants Yoga Game:
- Make a line one after another.
- Stand with your legs out wide.
- Give one of your hands to your friend behind you through your legs.
- Give your other hand to your friend in front of you through his/her legs this time.
- Your hand in the front will be your trunk and your hand behind will be your small elephant tail.
- Keep walking with a slightly bending forward and making a huge elephant trumpet sound.
If you would like to take a look at the longer games, please visit 17 best yoga games.